Mobility Grants & Support
From stairlifts and hoists to manual and electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters, mobility equipment can make life easier and more fulfilling for people with limited mobility.
Assistive technology can be life-changing, but it can sometimes be a big investment.That's why the Australian Government and financial providers offer grants and other support plans to help make mobility aids more affordable.
Motobility is a registered disability services provider in Perth. Our team can help you to understand what disability benefits you are entitled to claim and other support available that could help you to afford the equipment you need. These may include:
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- My Aged Care Home Care Packages (HCP)
- Community Aids and Equipment Program (CAEP)
- Mobility Allowance
- Payment plans
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
Motobility is Registered Provider of the National Disability Insurance Scheme. NDIS is a nationwide scheme that provides support for Australians with physical and intellectual disabilities who need to modify their homes and vehicles to improve mobility and access.
You may be eligible to access the NDIS if you meet the disability criteria or have a child who meets early intervention requirements. These include:
- Being aged over 7 and under 65 years old (over 65s may be eligible for Home Care Packages)
- Residing in Australia as an Australian Citizen or permanent visa holder
- Requiring help or support from others due to a permanent disability
- Relying on disability aids or equipment
To apply for NDIS support, call the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) on 1800 800 110 to get started. You will also need to complete an application form and provide the supporting documents they require to assess your case.
You may not be eligible for NDIS if you already receive support or services from other organisations related to your disability. Speak to your care professional or contact the Motobility team to find out more about eligibility for NDIS.
Home Care Packages (HCP)
Older Australians may be eligible for financial support towards the cost of mobility aids and home modifications through Home Care Packages. HCPs generally cater for more complex requirements and are subject to assessment of your needs.
HCPs are categorised into four levels. As of 2022, these are:
- Level 1: Basic care needs – $9,026.45 a year
- Level 2: Low care needs – $15,877.50 a year
- Level 3: Intermediate care needs – $34,550.90 a year
- Level 4: High care needs – $52,377.50 a year
Eligibility for Home Care Packages will be based on your personal care needs. You should be either:
- an older person who requires mobility aids or other services to help you live at home
- a younger person whose disability care needs are not provided through other specialist services
Tobegin the application process, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. They will ask you about your needs and circumstances to check your eligibility and arrange a face-to-face assessment. You will be required to make a contribution, depending on your means.
Community Aids and Equipment Program (CAEP)
The CAEP program is available for residents of Western Australia who live at home and want to access funding for mobility equipment and home modifications to support a long-term disability. This includes walking aids, wheelchairs and other disability aids.
To be eligible for CAEP, you must:
- be in a residential situation that supports independent living
- spend the majority of your time in the community
You can claim CAEP funding even if you already receive support from the NDIS scheme. You may be eligible for CAEP even if you are not eligible for NDIS, depending on your situation.
Your health professional can determine your eligibility for CAEP funding and help you to make your application with your CAEP Service Provider.
If you or a loved one has a disability, illness or injury that means you can't use public transport, you may be able to claim a Mobility Allowance to help cover your travel costs for going to work, studying or seeking employment.
The amount you can receive depends on your circumstances. In 2022, the rates are:
- Standard rate: $103 a fortnight
- Higher rate: $144 a fortnight
You may be eligible for the standard rate if you are employed, self-employed, volunteer, take vocational training or life skills training or are seeking work and living independently for at least 32 hours every 4 weeks on an ongoing basis.
You may receive the higher rate if you work or are seeking work for at least 15 hours a week and receive certain payments, including:
- Disability Support Pension
- JobSeeker Payment
- Parenting Payment
- Youth Allowance (as a job seeker)
You can apply for Mobility Allowance online through Centrelink. To be eligible, you must:
- be aged 16 or over
- meet residence rules
- need to use public transport for at least 12 months
- provide a medical report from a health professional stating that you require help to use public transport
You cannot receive the allowance if you already receive funds from NDIS or have received a vehicle through another compensation scheme.
Whether or not you are entitled to claim benefits towards the cost of mobility equipment, at Motobility we offer flexible payment plans to help make your purchases easier to manage.
These are provided through trusted Australian financial provider hummand allow you to spread the cost of mobility equipment across a number of instalments with interest-free payment terms.
To be eligible for humm payment plans, you must:
- be aged 18 or over
- be a permanent Australian resident
- hold an Australian Driver's Licence
- either work full-time or be an Aged or Veterans Pensioner
You may still be eligible if you do not fulfill all of these criteria. Our team can assist you with your application and tell you which supporting documents are required.
You can apply for mobility equipment payment plans in our store in Osborne Park and Mandurah or online through the humm website.A single monthly fee of $8 applies, however many payment plans you have. There may also be an establishment fee of $35 to $90 for larger purchases, or $22 for existing customers.
Find out more about our payment plans.
Mobility solutions in Perth
Custom Bed Quote
Get in touch
For any online enquiries please don’t hesitate to get in touch via the web form below, or email us directly. For any urgent matters, please contact us directly on 08 9242 7333